Friday, July 1, 2011

july?? what??

I can't believe that July 2011 is here already!  This year...and my time abroad...is going by fast!  I am finally getting on a roll with my project (after it has gone through several changes) and I'm even starting to work on my capstone for this coming fall...Things are really coming along!

Today is Friday, the first half of my weekend and while I get a bit of work done (and write this post), I am sitting here listening to the Friday prayers and services held at mosques all over the city.  There really are mosques pretty much everywhere you look here and on Fridays the sermons and prayers from any mosque you are near can be heard on loudspeakers.  It truly is fascinating to me.  I am used to seeing churches on every corner (not really, but lots of churches) at home in the Bible belt, but this is so interesting.  It is neat how the services are basically broadcast for all to hear.  The prayers and accompanying services go until around 1:30pm or a little later and then shops and stores and things begin to open back up (really around 3:00pm).

Just another small bit of culture that I wanted to share...Here's a picture of minarets and dome from Al-Husseini Mosque in downtown Amman.  The blue of the dome is so pretty!


Until next time, salaam,

jMed

No comments: