Tuesday, May 24, 2011

broke the ice

So remember when I said that I'd had a rough day?  Well, yesterday was so much better!

It started out fine, had my first day of work.  I spent my time at work getting oriented and familiar with everything and meeting the other people in the office.  Well, I am the only other person who works with my boss for the time being.  One other person is being hired, starting in June.  We actually work in the office of my boss's husband, Mr. Awad.  He is a business owner and graciously donates the space (and internet) to his wife's project.

Mr. Awad is a very nice man.  He is really soft spoken and generous, like most of the people here.  I sense that I looked a little lost or uncomfortable, and yesterday morning he said to me, don't worry, you are our guest, you are our sister.  That really touched me.  At that moment, I felt like I could be in a huge rut and I would have someone to help me.  One thing I do have to say is that Jordanians are some of the most hospitable and nice people I have ever met.  The other person in the office is Feeraz.  He is the office manager for Mr. Awad's business.  He also is very nice.  Yesterday morning and this morning, he made us all coffee (yep, the Turkish spicy coffee) and tea.  He is a very mild-mannered guy and is very helpful.  Mr. Awad says that if I need anything, Feeraz is the one to ask--he knows all about what is around here and where to find things.

After leaving work, Rana and I went to find a bank so that I could access money and what happens but I can't get into my accounts!  I was petrified and freaking out.  I can NOT be halfway around the world with no access to money!  Called my mom, called my sister and long story short, I didn't use the right passcode.  Silly jMed, really?

The bank snafu left me feeling more than a bit angsty and homesick.  My mom and I even had a little tiff over email.  I knew that I needed to get out of my apartment and be social (or Caroline would cut me haha) but I really didn't want to.  I was in no mood to try to communicate when I know I couldn't.  Boy was I wrong.  I forced myself to go down to the reception area where all the girls hang out at my apartment and I am so glad I did!!

The girls were talking and a few of them spoke English, so they translated for me.  One of the girls got McFlurries from the McDonald's down the street and we sat around eating those.  They had Arabic music playing on Youtube and some of them got up and started dancing...Next thing I knew, they'd pulled me up to dance too!  It was so much fun!  I learned some belly dancing (which some of the girls said was really good for my first time trying), Palestinian dancing and Israeli dancing!  I couldn't talk to them so that all of us could understand, but I knew that the ice was finally broken.  I love how I could communicate with them not just with words but with dancing and smiling and having a good time.  I'm glad that I made myself go down to talk to them.  They told me that if I need help or need anything, I should ask, so I definitely will!

I feel soooo much better now, and InshaAllah, Lord willing, this will continue!  Okay, back to work for me...Gotta get lots done!  Getting out to do some grocery shopping tonight and seeing the city tomorrow for Jordanian Independence Day...

-jMed

No comments: