Wednesday, May 25, 2011

re-freeze

Yesterday I broke the ice with my neighbors.  At least I think I did.  But it seems as if there was a small step back, I can't really tell.  It's difficult to know clearly because of the language barrier...*shrugs*  (More on that later)

After my second day at work, I made a grocery run (so glad I can find anything here that I can in the States!) then later I caught a taxi and braved the city.  It was actually pretty neat...other than the scary driving.  (I think I need to take a video of that so you all can see it haha!)  I went about 10 minutes east of where I live and I finally had dinner w/ my UACS classmate, Jared, who is in Amman too.  We were planning on going to a sushi restaurant that is pretty well-known around here, but they had a 30 minute wait, so we walked next door to another place called Whispers.

It was pretty good.  They had American-style food--both Jared and I needed to take a short break from Middle Eastern.  We got spring rolls to start--they were really good.  Not really "American," but you know, something we know.  I had chicken tenders complete with the requisite BBQ sauce and J had lasagna...Once again, not truly American, but it does represent the melting pot that our country is.  Jared and I had a lengthy dinner, discussing our time spent thus far in Jordan and how we miss our great friends--shoutout to ClassSix!!  After our dinner I got another cab back to where I live.  This time it was a little more difficult.  The taxi driver didn't speak a lot of English and y'all already know where I am on my Arabic.  I thought he was going wrong because it wasn't the same way I came, but Alhamdulillah, I got back to where I needed to be--my apartment!

Got back and the girls were eating dinner.  At their request, I stayed and had some of what they were eating.  This is where my time in City Year came in handy.  We have LOTS of culture pieces in CY and some of them include sayings called PITWs (Putting Idealism to Work) that were truly helpful during my term of service and even now.  PITW #(I can't remember, shame on me) **BING** says:  do three squishy things a day.  Squishy = uncomfortable.  Well, getting out of my shell to be social counts for about 17 squishy things.  That's how out of place I feel haha!  While I am getting better at going down to be more social and outgoing with my apartment-mates, it is still one of those things that will take time.  And thanks to Dr. Singhal, I'm getting better at being compassionate with myself and giving myself the time to truly adjust.  Anyway, my communication issues are still there and although I want to be instantly better, I know it will take time...So many many thanks to my good friend Amanda for the video.  It's about communication and vulnerability and I think that it will help me over the duration of this trip.  Interested in seeing it?  Let me know, I'll post it (this entry is getting too long haha!).

Tomorrow (well, technically today) is Jordanian Independence Day...Getting out with my Rhodes friend Sara!  Excited to see another face I know!!  We'll see what's in store!

-jMed

2 comments:

David said...

Love the CY reference - I still use the PITW's for guidance too. The squishy one is definitely a good one to keep in mind on an IPSP adventure! I'm enjoying the blog - keep it up. :)

Julie said...

I totally know what it feels like to feel (and be) totally out of place. I promise it will start to feel normal. And the day when you can navigate the city and barter with a taxi driver and feel like you actually live there will be the best day ever!! It will be the best light bulb moment you have ever had! I'm pumped for you!