Wooooo, I am FINALLY here!
Well, have been for about 12 hours. But still. Work with me.
(FYI: this is about to be a pretty lengthy blog, so bear with me)
All was good until I did my typical jMed thing and freaked a little at the airport. I went through customs and all, got my bags (yay for no lost luggage!) and that was all fine, but when it came time to finding the person who was supposed to be picking me up, that's where my drama started...Alana, I guess you were right ;)
I knew who was supposed to be coming to get me, but I had no idea what she looked like, whether she would be wearing hijab, or what. I panicked. I asked several people if they spoke English, and not many did. First issue: lack of communication. Anyone who knows me knows how much I talk and how much I like to talk. I was so lost, y'all. There was one man, though, who was like an angel. He was on my flight from Paris to Amman and he spoke English. At first he told me I should get an hotel but when I said I probably did not have enough money, he said to go to the information desk inside. Those words were what I needed to hear. I proceeded to go back inside the airport to the desk (after 15 minutes of me walking around looking like a little lost puppy) but before I could get there came another angel--my hostess, Rana. She tapped me on the shoulder and with a piece of paper with my name on it, she said, "Are you Jasmine?" At those words, I hugged her tightly and cried. I cried because I was still processing (and still am) being so far away from home, but more because I could communicate. And because she'd found me. I could finally breathe a little...
After driving the 20 or so kilometers from QAIA, Rana and I went to dinner at a small restaurant and that was good for me. I was finally settled enough to eat (although I've got to adjust to that...). Amman is so hilly and bustling! I can't even begin to describe what it's all like. Per the conversation Rana and I had while going between QAIA and the restaurant, the first thing that stood out to me was the smell. Not a bad smell by any means, but just a different smell. I think that was brought on by the fact that the air here is dry, compared to the ridiculous humidity at home. I could breathe and could smell the newness of my experience in Amman. That was refreshing.
We got to my apartment where I live and I got my bags in, got acquainted with the place and Rana introduced me to a girl I was supposed to live with, but plans changed. The girl, named Arwa, and I talked for a while, with that semi-awkwardness that strangers sometimes have, but it all ended fine. She showed me her place and said that if I ever needed anything to let her know. She was the third angel of this trip. She lent me an extra blanket for my bed--it is unusually cool here...at last check, it was about 13° C, or 59° F--and said to come ask her anything anytime. The following part of the conversation will stick with me forever. As Arwa was leaving my apartment, I was telling her that I was so glad to finally be here, but nervous because I couldn't really communicate with people. She said to me, shyly but still genuinely, "Don't worry, we will be sisters." We greeted each other with the traditional greeting and she left. I still feel chills from that kindness. Shukran, Arwa, always.
All was fine for the time being. I tried to get settled, but I figured I should try to sleep a little to help with the time adjustment. Well, around 4h40 this morning, I heard the adhan, or call to prayer. I knew it was coming and I knew it would be very early in the morning, but I think that was the moment that it hit me like a ton of bricks--I am NOT home and I am eight time zones away from EVERYTHING I know. Honestly, it scared me like none other. I didn't know what to do with myself. After the call to prayer, I tried to go back to sleep, but the next call woke me again. I had a huge feeling of doubt and almost dread and that flood of emotions drove me to tears; I sat in my bed and cried for a while. Luckily I realized it was evening at home and so I called my mom on Skype. When she answered I cried more. Long story short, I am overwhelmed. But my mom and sister (who I soon Skyped with) helped to calm me down. And another angel in this story came along too. While talking to my mom and sister, I talked to my UACS mate Dewi. She is Indonesian and Muslim and a blessing to my life. I sent her a message telling her about my anxiety, and what she said will be something I remember always. She said "Don't be scared... that's such a blessing if your heart feels something...Just say hi to God, Jasmine." She may not know what that meant to me, but it meant a lot and I am always grateful for that. Shukran, Dewi :)
That's pretty much it for now...I'm trying really hard to stay awake so my body can begin to adjust to this new time situation, but I think I'm going to give in to take a nap...Until next time, salaam,
jMed
Well, have been for about 12 hours. But still. Work with me.
(FYI: this is about to be a pretty lengthy blog, so bear with me)
I had a relatively smooth series of flights and arrived at Queen Alia International Airport last night. I got into the airport and I think I went into a state of shock. I couldn't (and still can't) believe I am actually in Jordan. Alhamdulillah!
All was good until I did my typical jMed thing and freaked a little at the airport. I went through customs and all, got my bags (yay for no lost luggage!) and that was all fine, but when it came time to finding the person who was supposed to be picking me up, that's where my drama started...Alana, I guess you were right ;)
I knew who was supposed to be coming to get me, but I had no idea what she looked like, whether she would be wearing hijab, or what. I panicked. I asked several people if they spoke English, and not many did. First issue: lack of communication. Anyone who knows me knows how much I talk and how much I like to talk. I was so lost, y'all. There was one man, though, who was like an angel. He was on my flight from Paris to Amman and he spoke English. At first he told me I should get an hotel but when I said I probably did not have enough money, he said to go to the information desk inside. Those words were what I needed to hear. I proceeded to go back inside the airport to the desk (after 15 minutes of me walking around looking like a little lost puppy) but before I could get there came another angel--my hostess, Rana. She tapped me on the shoulder and with a piece of paper with my name on it, she said, "Are you Jasmine?" At those words, I hugged her tightly and cried. I cried because I was still processing (and still am) being so far away from home, but more because I could communicate. And because she'd found me. I could finally breathe a little...
After driving the 20 or so kilometers from QAIA, Rana and I went to dinner at a small restaurant and that was good for me. I was finally settled enough to eat (although I've got to adjust to that...). Amman is so hilly and bustling! I can't even begin to describe what it's all like. Per the conversation Rana and I had while going between QAIA and the restaurant, the first thing that stood out to me was the smell. Not a bad smell by any means, but just a different smell. I think that was brought on by the fact that the air here is dry, compared to the ridiculous humidity at home. I could breathe and could smell the newness of my experience in Amman. That was refreshing.
We got to my apartment where I live and I got my bags in, got acquainted with the place and Rana introduced me to a girl I was supposed to live with, but plans changed. The girl, named Arwa, and I talked for a while, with that semi-awkwardness that strangers sometimes have, but it all ended fine. She showed me her place and said that if I ever needed anything to let her know. She was the third angel of this trip. She lent me an extra blanket for my bed--it is unusually cool here...at last check, it was about 13° C, or 59° F--and said to come ask her anything anytime. The following part of the conversation will stick with me forever. As Arwa was leaving my apartment, I was telling her that I was so glad to finally be here, but nervous because I couldn't really communicate with people. She said to me, shyly but still genuinely, "Don't worry, we will be sisters." We greeted each other with the traditional greeting and she left. I still feel chills from that kindness. Shukran, Arwa, always.
All was fine for the time being. I tried to get settled, but I figured I should try to sleep a little to help with the time adjustment. Well, around 4h40 this morning, I heard the adhan, or call to prayer. I knew it was coming and I knew it would be very early in the morning, but I think that was the moment that it hit me like a ton of bricks--I am NOT home and I am eight time zones away from EVERYTHING I know. Honestly, it scared me like none other. I didn't know what to do with myself. After the call to prayer, I tried to go back to sleep, but the next call woke me again. I had a huge feeling of doubt and almost dread and that flood of emotions drove me to tears; I sat in my bed and cried for a while. Luckily I realized it was evening at home and so I called my mom on Skype. When she answered I cried more. Long story short, I am overwhelmed. But my mom and sister (who I soon Skyped with) helped to calm me down. And another angel in this story came along too. While talking to my mom and sister, I talked to my UACS mate Dewi. She is Indonesian and Muslim and a blessing to my life. I sent her a message telling her about my anxiety, and what she said will be something I remember always. She said "Don't be scared... that's such a blessing if your heart feels something...Just say hi to God, Jasmine." She may not know what that meant to me, but it meant a lot and I am always grateful for that. Shukran, Dewi :)
That's pretty much it for now...I'm trying really hard to stay awake so my body can begin to adjust to this new time situation, but I think I'm going to give in to take a nap...Until next time, salaam,
jMed
4 comments:
Hey Jasmine,
I just read this (you saved me from having to listen to a really boring lecture :) and I wanted to say that I wish you all the best! I think it's awesome that you're doing this and I'm glad you've already had good experiences with people.
You were one of the people who made me feel welcome in the US and knowing you contributed so much to my stay being so wonderful. I'm glad you're finding people who'll do the same for you in Jordan.
I'll keep reading your blog and I'm excited to hear more about your adventures.
Bye
Fran
Your adventures so far are making me nervous and excited for my own trip! It hasn't sunk in for me yet, either. Still 3 weeks away and haven't started packing. Will probably pull a JMed on that one and pack the night before :)
Very much looking forward to reading about how you settle in. Good luck, love! I know you are going to be just fine.
Girl, you are a crying fool...LOL. This is a trip of a lifetime and will be gone before you know it. Enjoy every moment and keep sending these updates. I feel like you are Nettie and I'm Celie (only cuter) and these blogs are the little scraps of paper Nettie would tape all over Mister's house.
Hey Jaz! I love your blog so far! You're a great writer. You could probably turn this into a novel, too bad Oprah's off the air LOL. I'm praying for you girl, and I hope things continue to get better. Who knows you may not want to come back.
Post a Comment