The time until I leave is coming quickly and my emotions are doing a 180 in my tummy...The news events happening lately are definitely adding to the chaos I'm feeling within.
I was minding my own business watching some ridiculous television show when the news outlets came on to say that President Obama had an important announcement. I honestly did not have a clue about what it could be. My vivid imagination was running wild. Well, once the big news came out and the President gave his speech to the country, I suddenly thought, What impact does this have on my trip? I am going to a part of the world that is a little volatile to say the least, and I'M LEAVING IN TWO WEEKS! What am I going to do? I started to panic a little...
First, I have to say that I am so grateful to be working with an organization wherein my primary contact has been so wonderful at staying in regular contact with me and answering any questions I may have had. She gave me her cell number and said that I could call her anytime with any questions I wanted to ask. When I calmed a little (slash after I'd run through the house talking about the big news and the amazing cool-headedness of POTUS), I called my contact at my organization (I'll explain more details about the trip and what I'll be doing a little later) but her phone was on the fritz. Again, I panicked and thought, Oh my goodness what's going on? I hope that everything is alright...because I only have TWO MORE WEEKS!! I CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE MY PROJECT THIS LATE IN THE GAME!! When my contact's phone didn't work, I emailed her. I just expressed my concerned at the news and asked her how and if that would affect my coming to Amman. After that, I just had to let go and give it to God. Worrying about it would not have helped me one bit. So I went to bed.
I got up this morning to go to class and went through my normal morning routine of checking my email and my contact had answered my email. Thank goodness!! She said that all is fine where I'll be and that the news of Osama bin Laden's death would not affect my project. She didn't say much else, but just that right there put me at ease and pushed my panic level way down. Wheeeew! I can breathe now!
So now for more details on my trip. I'll be working with a great organization called We Love Reading. This organization works in an area that is really important to me. After having spent a year volunteering with City Year, I have found that I am more passionate about education than I ever thought I'd be. It was a great thing when I stumbled upon We Love Reading. I'd had project prospects in other places and one fell through. That was at a stressful point of the semester and so it sent me into panic mode. I was so afraid that I wouldn't find a project and that my quest for my master of public service degree would come to a screeching halt. Anyway, so I did a search for organizations in the area where I wanted to be and I found We Love Reading (I'll probably refer to it as WLR a lot).
WLR is a fairly young organization that was founded by a lady who still runs the organzation today. She has been my primary contact during the setting up of my trip and project details. Her name is Rana and she is amazing! She has helped to calm some of my anxieties with coming to the Mid-East and working in an area where I will be very outside of my comfort zone. Rana's story and that of WLR is very intriguing...check out how WLR was formed here. I am so excited to be working with such a great organization that is truly grassroots and has buy-in from the stakeholders that are most directly affected. I can't wait to get there and learn more about the communities I'll be serving!
I think that's all I can get out for tonight...It has been a long day and I'm very tired. As the time draws nigh, I will hopefully be writing more and asking for your opinions about traveling abroad.
Peace out, jMed.
P.S. I must add a couple of additional acknowledgements here. I visited my dear Alma Mater Rhodes College last week and saw some of my favorite professors. One of them, Dr. Gail Streete, is retiring and I want to wish her well as she starts a new chapter in her life. I also saw two other of my religious studies professors, Dr. Mark Muesse and Dr. John Kaltner. So great to see them almost two years after I graduated. And a special thank you to Professor Kaltner for giving me a copy of his recently published book Introducing the Qur'an for Today's Reader. I definitely was not expecting that and I know that it will help me a lot during my trip. LOVE my Rhodes family connections!
P.P.S. I am just now learning how to link things and add in neat features, so forgive the multiple hyperlinks. I got excited about this! :)
2 comments:
GREAT Blog, J Med! I'll miss you!
Jazzy- Did the Clinton School use "Peaceworks" to outsource you to organizations in Jordan? Just curious- I know they've used them in the past. IF THEY DID, you're in great hands. Peaceworks is who helped me contact/work for United Action for Children during my time in Cameroon.
I'm ridiculously excited for you!
Post a Comment