Saturday, May 21, 2011

the little things

I've had a busy couple of days here in Amman and I haven't updated this...
I want to keep this one short so I can get out to explore the city, so here are a few things that I have observed, questions I had, words I've learned and even stuff I thought I needed to get to help me settle in better:

Ask about laundry...
Yala (means "one minute," like when someone is calling you and you would like them to wait)
I got to teach my friend Arwa an English word that she didn't know before:  "awesome" which was...awesome!
When drinking tea or having meals with company, you say saha, which means bon apétit
I feel chills down my spine hearing the Qur'an chanted...it is beautiful!
Turkish coffee > American.  Just sayin'.
Rana’s mother-in-law's sister Na’ima is so cute—jolly and so friendly!  She and her sisters came from Saudi Arabia 70 years ago and settled here in Amman.
Thank you very much = shukran kteer
Na’ima gave me a set of prayer beads from Madinat al-Nabi (Medina)…She is also fascinated with flat jMed and my Arabic Phrasebook (shoutout to Monteith LOL)
Daqeqa (means "I'm coming," also like when someone is summoning you)
Rana has so many books!!  She said I could take any of them I wanted to borrow…I was in heaven (shoutout to beeJordan—you’d LOVE it!)
Grocery shopping here is an interesting experience...


Another great part of the past couple of days was that Rana and her family had me to their home for lunch.  I am honored to have met them and I look forward to the next time I can visit with them…They made grape leaves, stuffed zucchini, tabouleh, yogurt sauce, chicken, salad and pasta with meat and cheese.

What a spread--and this picture is from afterward!  Flat jMed and I LOVED it all!
Until next time,
jMed

2 comments:

Alana Gattis Bell said...

Love reading about JMed and Flat JMed's experiences...Flat Cub Stanley climbed into the Alps today(of course he was in my backpack). Aren't we all having fun?

beeJordan said...

Yay for books!! Ummm...can I have a job over there??