Sooooooooo right now, there's no water in my apartment.
If I open the faucet, nothing comes out.
Result of the water shortage here in Jordan? Not sure. Landlord issue? Not sure.
Whatever it is, I hope it's fixed soon.
I know if I'm crabby about not having water, I KNOW my Muslim sisters here in our apartment building are PISSED. You see, before prayer (which, if I may remind you is FIVE TIMES EVERY SINGLE DAY), all Muslims are required to perform a ritual/ceremonial washing (sometimes referred to as ablutions) called wudu'.
At the call to prayer, or whenever the person prepares to pray, he or she must wash in a particular order the body: the hands, then mouth, then nose, face, lower arms, head, ears then feet. With each body part where there are two, one starts with the right, i.e. one washes the right hand using the left then the left hand using the right and so on. Without water (except in some circumstances), wudu' cannot be performed and prayer is not acceptable. Even when wudu' is performed, there are some things that can invalidate it. Check out an interesting website I found with many more details here.
Inshallah, tomorrow there will be water. So until next time, salaam,
jMed
P.S. I got to Skype with my sweet grandmother, Teta (TAY-tah) in Arabic. She was tripped out by the technology, but it was so cute. Love that lady! :)
P.P.S. Since it's officially June 6th here in Amman, I want to wish a happy anniversary to my great friends, Kristine and Grant Page! I was honored to stand with them in their wedding two years ago! (I also just realized that I didn't get a picture of all three of us together, womp womp!)
ADDENDUM: (This is about 11 hours after the original post.) Upon waking this morning, I discovered that I now have water, Alhamdulillah! But I talked to my boss this morning, and she too, did not have water...since about Saturday night...Wow! Glad it wasn't so long for me. Perspective.
If I open the faucet, nothing comes out.
Result of the water shortage here in Jordan? Not sure. Landlord issue? Not sure.
Whatever it is, I hope it's fixed soon.
I know if I'm crabby about not having water, I KNOW my Muslim sisters here in our apartment building are PISSED. You see, before prayer (which, if I may remind you is FIVE TIMES EVERY SINGLE DAY), all Muslims are required to perform a ritual/ceremonial washing (sometimes referred to as ablutions) called wudu'.
At the call to prayer, or whenever the person prepares to pray, he or she must wash in a particular order the body: the hands, then mouth, then nose, face, lower arms, head, ears then feet. With each body part where there are two, one starts with the right, i.e. one washes the right hand using the left then the left hand using the right and so on. Without water (except in some circumstances), wudu' cannot be performed and prayer is not acceptable. Even when wudu' is performed, there are some things that can invalidate it. Check out an interesting website I found with many more details here.
Inshallah, tomorrow there will be water. So until next time, salaam,
jMed
P.S. I got to Skype with my sweet grandmother, Teta (TAY-tah) in Arabic. She was tripped out by the technology, but it was so cute. Love that lady! :)
P.P.S. Since it's officially June 6th here in Amman, I want to wish a happy anniversary to my great friends, Kristine and Grant Page! I was honored to stand with them in their wedding two years ago! (I also just realized that I didn't get a picture of all three of us together, womp womp!)ADDENDUM: (This is about 11 hours after the original post.) Upon waking this morning, I discovered that I now have water, Alhamdulillah! But I talked to my boss this morning, and she too, did not have water...since about Saturday night...Wow! Glad it wasn't so long for me. Perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment