Sunday, June 19, 2011

weekend update

Hey friends!

I have been slacking on updating this blog lately.  Whoops!  Shame on me!

I've got internet again (did I mention that in the last entry?  I think I did...I'm just so glad it's back that I can't help but mention it again!)  My weekend wasn't huge, but I did get to have another new experience here in Amman.  Yesterday I went to a gathering that I thought was a henna party for a girl here who is getting married.  The girl is the daughter of one of my boss's American friends.  She is getting married tomorrow--yes, on a Monday!  That's apparently a day when people get married often...Mondays and Thursdays.

Anyway, the party turned out to not be a henna party...Sad days...But it was still really fun.  I mostly watched and observed the other people there but it was still a really cool experience.  This party was all women and there was a lot of great Arabic music and people just dancing around.  The room in the lady's house was set up where there were chairs in a circle in the living rooml area and the space inside that circle was where people were dancing.  I LOVE the dancing here (when I see it)!  The women here are natuarls at belly dancing.  It just seems like when music comes on (in the appropriate situations, of course) they know exactly what moves to do and there's such an air of confidence that is amazing.  I'm pretty sure I stared the whole time, but being a dancer myself, I like to figure out how to do things and I can catch on pretty quickly.  And the whole dance training thing just makes the different forms of dance so much more interesting to me.  At one point, one lady got out her scart to tie around her wait to really eccentuate the hip movements that go along with belly dancing and I'm sure my jaw was on the ground the whole time because she was so good.  I guess that comes with the territory of this part of the world, but it's still so fascinating to watch.  I resisted the urge to dance this time around, but next time I get the opportunity, I will--I want to learn this art so bad!  But I digress...

I worked today and got ready for a workshop that we're having tomorrow, so wish me luck on that!  It'll all be in Arabic, but luckily the newest staff member of We Love Reading speaks English, so I'll have her there to help me out when I need it.

I'm hoping to see Petra and Wadi Rum and the Dead Sea soon.  I found out that Mount Nebo, where Moses is buried, is here in Jordan and I'd really like to see that.  Anyone have any touristy tips?  Help me out if you do.  So with that, I'm going to get ready for bed and my day tomorrow!

Salaam,

jMed

No comments: